Friday, April 17, 2009

Sleep would have been a good idea...


When I looked through a few of my regular blogs that I follow this morning, I get that I'm not unique in not getting enough sleep last night. I see other folks not sleeping due to health problems, sponsee issues, insomnia - whatever. One more time the lesson is that I'm just not unique in getting less than my needed and wanted 7 hours minimum last night.

My excuse might be a little more silly: I'm working on a really interesting web project that just grabbed me - I'm training some folks on the software today at 2pm so I just had to make a few little improvements which broke everything and, well, you can probably guess the drill.

This is really old behavior for me: putting stuff off, then expecting a heroic effort to pull the mess out of the fire. I had a sponsee suggest to me that this is more human nature than just my character defects: that, as hunter-gatherers, we were more effective as hunters when we were a little hungry on the hunt. That adrenalin might be my drug of choice today is hardly unique in my circles of the fellowship.

I would like to be different: I would like to have done this work 2 months ago when I'd intended to. That everything in my life would be in it's place when I reach for it. That I would have the humility to not commit to more than I can possibly accomplish.

It's nice to have ideals toward which I can aspire from the place that I live now - in the mean time, it's also nice to realize that I'm not alone...

I just pray to God that I remember the consequences of this groggy head the next time I put myself in this position...

Thank you God for lessons...

Ed

3 comments:

Syd said...

I stay up way too late to get up at 5:30 AM. For some reason, I need to have the time to reflect in the evening, to read, to talk to my wife before bed. Once I'm asleep I stay that way. I seldom wake up in the middle of the night anymore. I guess that's a lot of improvement for me.

Scott W said...

It's all about the practice, not the perfection.

Mary Christine said...

I like to get to bed and rise early. But I like to do everything at the last possible moment - and I accept that about myself. I do stellar work in the knick of time.