Saturday, April 11, 2009

Am I different...?


At an AA workshop/gathering recently, someone threw out the topic "...are alcoholics different than other people?"

As with most topics of this sort, the authoritative answer at the end of a lengthy discussion was all of:
  1. Yes, definitely
  2. No, definitely
  3. Of course, obviously
  4. Not at all
  5. Only as pertains to drinking alcohol
  6. We shouldn't care
I found that 20 minutes into this discussion, I was pretty much neutral on the topic. On the one hand, I find it irresponsible and irrational when folks in a meeting excuse all sorts of behavior and thoughts on their alcoholism or "alcoholic thinking". On the other hand, when I hang out with family or non-alcoholics, I find that I do see the world differently. On the other other hand, when I'm working with new drunks I find all sorts of identification with their strange ideas and thinking (at least what it used to be like for me). On the other other other hand (OK - I'm done with that now), I hardly recognize how I used to think - what my priorities used to be - the way I used to make decisions.

So, I don't know that we alcoholics, as a class, are different or not. What I do know is that I'm different than I used to be and, based on a "...daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of my spiritual condition...", I will continue to be different and grow.

Thank God...

Ed

3 comments:

Pammie said...

excellent.
Yes we are different the same.
PS: love the little frog pic.

Alive And Smiling (Jim) said...

Interesting topic Ed. I don't know the answer but like you, I wouldn't want to use it as an excuse. Hope your day is good!

Scott W said...

It does not matter to me that I may or may not be different from non-alcoholics. Just doesn't matter to me.