Saturday, April 18, 2009

Spring snow/changing plans...


We got thumped by a storm that's all over the news today - we even rated a national segment on NPR. Frankly, it's neither the apocalyptic storm that was forecast (or was portrayed on the report) or really any big deal. These storms come in the spring and they do more good than cause problems. We all seem to forget every year that Colorado gets ~80% of its snowfall in March and April - so, it's always big news each year. I think that we just need to get excited about something...

For crying out loud, it's supposed to be 70 again on Monday...

Anyway, my point is that a couple of the service meetings that I was supposed to participate in today got canceled. No big deal in that I can always find something useful and fun to fill my time with - in fact, probably 100 different things.

But, I'm reminded of just how inflexible we drunks, as a class of people, seem to be. I sobered up in early December and can still remember some of those meetings that 1st winter thinking how narrow some of us are - it seemed like every turn of the weather was taken personally by one drunk or another. You'd thought that each change in temperature was God's direct punishment or reward for one particular drunk or another.

In the course of canceling one of the meetings for today, one chair called me no less than 3 times (I think she'd called each of ~6 of us as much) , emailed me 3 times - you know, there's just nothing in my life today where I'm that important or that deserves that much stress or consideration. I finally was, I think, a little abrupt with her and just told her that there was no right or wrong answer, that she could hold the meeting and I would be there or reschedule it and I would not hold it against her.

I think the principles for the day might be: humility, willingness...

I love AA...

Ed

3 comments:

Alive And Smiling (Jim) said...

Nice message today Ed. We have to just go with the flow because mother nature is going to do what sh'e going to do. Spring is in full bloom down this way and I'm sure warm weather will find you soon enough. Enjoy the weekend, snow and all.

steveroni said...

I love AA also!

Mary Christine said...

Sometimes when people are the most trying = they need the most understanding.