Saturday, May 23, 2009

Spritual malady...

I was looking at Scott W's blog this morning where he had the quote from page 64 of the Big Book about " When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically". I usually explain to people several times a week that, as I understand and experience it, there are 3 components to the disease of alcoholism:
  1. A physical component (understood metaphorically
    as an allergy - "phenomenon of craving" that happens when I drink alcohol)
  2. A mental component (the Big Book describes this in one place as a "peculiar mental twist" - I can't improve on that language)
  3. A spiritual malady
My idea (this is where it gets some level of disagreement with others in AA - I don't stress over it a bit) is that the only thing we do in the program of AA is to straighten out (somewhat) spiritually. We are not cured. As said on page 85, we have "...a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition".

So, I have fully recovered from my alcoholism, not through trying harder, not through anything other than dealing with my spiritual malady. Today, I think that's it...

My efforts focused on improving my self control and discipline usually result in more sufferings from the delusion that I can "...wrest satisfaction and happiness out of this world if (I) only manage well?" (p. 61).

When, instead, I turn my thoughts and focus toward living a spirit-led life, I've been given a life beyond my wildest dreams.

...at least, that's the way that it's seemed to work for me so far...

3 comments:

steveroni said...

My only thought here, Ed, is do not change what works.

Usually, when I change a pattern or behavior, it is when I have deviated (what a word--Ugh!) from what had been working....
Thanks!

Scott W said...

No debate from me, and I am not sure about recovered vs. recovery. I am pretty sure I will be in recovery for a long time, though, if I don't pick up a drink along the way. I know I suffered from a spiritual malady and today my spiritual condition might get a little bit off kilter, but generally I am fairly fit.

Syd said...

I never knew what spirituality was until Al-Anon and working the steps. I am not as maladjusted as I once was.