Wednesday, March 24, 2010

About me...

I sometimes get the mistaken belief that my life and what I do in it has something to do with me.  Imagine!

Yesterday, I fought myself all the way to show up for a job that I'd put off since last October.  Just think of it as a heavy ball and chain around my neck that gets heavier every day since October.  To say I was dreading it and the dread was increasing was just such an understatement.

But, God is good, and by His grace I showed up with the best attitude I could muster.  The weather was predicted to change and I wanted to make progress before that happened.

When I work, I often leave my cell phone aside as I often make bad decisions (compromising my safety or ability to get work done) about when to accept calls.  I noticed a former sponsee was calling and I was in between tasks so I took the call.

He works at a detox and had just spent some time with a "live one" who he wanted me to meet.  We talked briefly, set up something for after the weather changed and I started back to work.

I noticed another former sponsee was calling during another work lull.  I had not spoken to this guy in over 5 years.  I was surprised my phone directory still had his number and that he was still at that number.  He called because a mutual friend (and, another former sponsee of mine - we'll call him Don), was out and having a hard time getting back to the program.  We talked about Don, caught up a little, he thanked me for saving his life, tears were shed, we made a nebulous plan to grab some coffee, typical stuff.

I prayed a bit and called Don.  I think it sort of creeped him out a bit initially because he was just looking up my number to call me.  He talked about needing to "get back into the book..."  (some jargon we use around these parts) and get back to the solution he'd found a few years ago.  His was the typical story of the life that AA had given him taking him away from the solution that AA had provided.  We talked some about the nature of the disease, the problems with reservations and ego, problems and solutions.  We laughed and cried a little, made a plan to get together, and I connected him up with another sponsee who lives in his town.

I finished up the part of the work that I had to get done just as the weather was bearing down and, still dirty, headed out to the detox to meet the new guy.  We talked for nearly two hours about willingness and life.  He might be ready.  I hope so.  Of course, the similarity of our stories was sort of, well, again, creepy.

I so get that my life really has precious little to do with me...

On a good day...

This was the best day recently...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a great reminder for me today(that my life has nothing to do with me), thanks.

Julianne said...

How easy it is to let life interrupt our journey. Your reminder this morning is timely. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Always amazing how much we're directed from one place to another. Thanks for the reminder and for your service!

Syd said...

I find that I am where I need to be which is generally where God wants me to be. I just have to be present and aware. The rest happens without much interference from me. Glad that you were there and aware.

marie said...

God seems to have you all over the place today! How wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

steveroni said...

Ed G., If we really think about it, isn't every sober day better than the alternative? I would have been eating worms...or rather they worms would have been ...oh well!

I know you are correct, a 12-Step call makes the whole meaning of life a bit mnore clear, and can turn a difficult week into a "remembered " day...

PEACE

Mary Christine said...

Sounds like a good day indeed.